Course Duration: 8 hours
Format: Online or In-person
Availability: Available Now
Requirements: Recommended for drivers and attendants within 45 days of hire
Description: PASS training includes:
- Discussion of functional limitations of the aging process and major disabling conditions and how those conditions affect mobility and communication.
- Description of the uses, functions, and limitations of common assistive devices used by the elderly and persons with disabilities and the proper means of providing assistance to persons using those devices.
- Discussion of attitudes toward the elderly and persons with disabilities, which must include the participation of the elderly and persons with disabilities.
- Discussion of the effect of mobility impairments, medication, and past experiences on passengers and how to behave in a sensitive and professional manner.
- Discussion, demonstration, and practice by students in methods of handling wheelchairs; transferring passengers from a wheelchair to a seat, discussion and demonstration of moving, lifting, and transferring passengers, including assisted and unassisted transfers, two-handed transfers, and standing transfers; instruction in guidelines for appropriate handling of a vehicle transporting persons with disabilities that includes instruction that passengers may have balance or mobility problems and may not be able to grab railings or brace themselves for sudden stops, sharp turns, or other uneven or abrupt maneuvers.
- Discussion and demonstration of placing the assistive devices, operating the lifts, ramps, and wheelchair securement devices, and using them properly if the vehicle to be operated is equipped with them. (Course #3003)
This course is offered both in-person and online. You can register for the online course at any time here.
|Passenger Assistance Safety and Sensitivity (ONLINE)||ONLINE||
|Passenger Assistance Safety & Sensitivity (PASS)||DARTS||
|Passenger Assistance Safety & Sensitivity (PASS)||White Earth Public Transit||
Login to request a different date or venue for this course — or request a new course entirely.